On July 2, 2019, the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) formally published its “Special Condition for Small-Category Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) Aircraft” (SC-VTOL-01). This page provides a reference for those interested in this first-of-its-kind pathway to eVTOL aircraft type certification.
- EASA Comment Response Document on draft SC-VTOL (227 page PDF)
- Draft SC-VTOL, published Oct. 5, 2018
- Rotor & Wing article on Draft SC-VTOL, “EASA Considering New Category for eVTOL Certification,” Jan. 30, 2019
- EASA page on Special Condition VTOL, July 2, 2019
- SC-VTOL-01, published July 2, 2019
- Vertiflite Commentary: EASA Takes the First Shot at eVTOL Regulations. Did They Miss the Mark?, Aug 29, 2019
On Jan. 27, 2020, EASA published its “Proposed Special Condition: Electric / Hybrid Propulsion System,” SC-E-19. The initial deadline for comments was extended twice, to June 19, 2020.
On May 25, 2020, EASA announced that it had published its proposed Means of Compliance for SC-VTOL. The deadline for comments is July 24, 2020.
Updated May 25, 2020