Manta Aircraft SA
Based in Switzerland, Manta Aircraft is a design and manufacturing company of hybrid-electric and all-electric vertical short takeoff and landing (V/STOL) aircraft for Urban Air Mobility (UAM). The company is designing their aircraft using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software for all aspects of their aircraft, including but not limited to flight dynamics, flight controls and its power source. The company plans to sell their aircraft to the consumer, to businesses and to the government.
The ANN1 is a one passenger aircraft which can be used for personal UAM and for air racing. In addition, ANN1 can be used for emergency assistance, search and rescue, police, fire or any other type of special operations needing V/STOL and fast forward flight.
The company states their aircraft can take off and land vertically or take off and land on very short runways and either way, can achieve high speeds during forward flight. By using a hybrid-electric power system, using a turbine engine to product electricity for the electric motors and onboard batteries, the aircraft can carry a higher payload, fly faster and have a longer range. Only the hybrid-electric version can recharge the batteries during flight.
The company plans to make a range of aircraft with seating from one to five passengers and can be powered with eco-fuel. As the airframe is the company is like a conventional plane, the company expects certification to take place faster than newly manufactured eVTOL aircraft.
One of the goals of Manta Aircraft is to make their V/STOL aircraft have exceptional maneuvering capabilities by mixing an airplane and helicopter-type capabilities into one vehicle. Their aircraft will have the ability to hover in midair, perform a backward flip, and jaw and roll beyond what standard flight control surfaces would allow.
The company has also developed a global Formula Air Grand Prix competition for air racing, to bring the electric aviation industry together and to give individual companies in the industry a platform to showcase their technologies to a larger audience. The company points out that competitions are an effective way to foster advancement in technology.
- Aircraft type: Hybrid-electric and electric vertical short takeoff and landing (V/STOL) aircraft
- Capacity: 1 person (who is the pilot)
- Flight controls: Fly-by-wire plus a network of flight control computers making it easier for pilots to fly the aircraft
- Cruise speed: Unknown
- Range: Unknown
- Propellers: 8 ducted fans. (4 ducted fans for VTOL are stationary. 4 tilting ducted fans for VTOL flight.)
- Electric Motors: 8 electric motors
- Power source: Hybrid-electric or electric
- Windows: Panoramic canopy with forward, left and right visibility for spectacular views for the passengers.
- Wings: Canard wings
- Landing gear: Tricycle-wheeled retractable landing gear
- Safety Features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP), provides safety through redundancy for its passengers and/or cargo. DEP means having multiple propellers and motors on the aircraft so if one or more motors or propellers fail, the other working motors and propellers can safely land the aircraft. The aircraft can also land like a conventional airplane its VTOL capability becomes disabled.